angeles crest highway death

tommy armour silver scot forged irons

Found a set of barely used berylliums that are still sitting in my basement. Maybe form forged though. Tommy Armour 845s SilverScot 3 and 4 Irons RH. MyGolfSpy, Inc. All Rights Reserved. When I got home, I got some candles and melted the wax into the shape of a cavity and those cavity balance weight pads. That didnt happen for several reasons. You could write a business school case study on the 845s and how it made Tommy Armour a major force in golf. 2 through Wedge for $20 bucks after trading in the "then very popular" 855's. . I not only qualified with a 64, but finished 4th and played the remainder of the year as a ranked player. The 845 was John Hoeflichs very first effort at designing a golf club. Add to Compare. I tend to blame bad shots on my swing versus the equipment. Sadly it also embraces the ptifalls of overnight success, there is never a first time homerun. Tommy Armour 6 Pc Golf set in right Handed. Tommy Armour 845S Silver Scot 3 Iron Stiff Flex Tour Step Steel 1003730 Fair. Classic set! Ceej, March 25, 2008 Management loves the top line but the necessary investment in production capabilities, assembly personnel, customer service, sales, marketing, warehousing, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and other overhead can put serious stress on the bottom line and on working capital. Also the customer service from proshopwarehouse.com is great. Is there a source for the codes to determine what year and other info? The plan paid immediate dividends with staffers Jim Gallagher and Davis Love III copping wins that first year. Iconic club makers like Wilson Staff, Powerbilt, and MacGregor have been reduced to mere shadows of their former selves I applaud the current heroic resurgence of Wilson, a sentimental favorite of many of us with memories of Snead, Sarazen, and Palmer using their clubs. One of the reasons the 845 was so successful is we had a really experienced sales team that loved selling clubs, said Hoeflich. Cast clubs in general have little feel, but a ton of forgiveness. The Central Florida Golf Tour was founded in 1989. The look of the drivers, woods, and hybrids were pretty nice, but I didnt really care for the sound and feel. Well done business-lesson case story John. I still have my old woods in the closet (PGA Tommy Armours from the late 70's and a set of Golfcraft Dick Mayers from the 50's) but I'd be too scared to actually hit balls with them ever again. I love them. By late 2002, Gen-X was sold to Huffy, the bicycle, and sporting goods company, for $19 million in cash plus five million shares of stock. very well written. After two weeks of shooting under par and not even one paycheck, I resorted to working at a driving range in Winter haven Florida. We continued to run the Tour, but when I got a call from Rudy Zucker threatening to sue us If we continued using the Tommy Armour Tour name. The Edge became the best-selling iron Hogan ever produced. 207. Used to call them quarter to nines.nice clubs, great memories. Naming the 845 is another lesson in the way things used to be. eli_yates; Nov 19, 2007; Golf Equipment Talk; Replies 4 Views 5K. Tommy Armour Women's 2021 845-MAX Hybrid/Irons. Fred Couples played the 845s and both Freddie and John Daly played Maxfli. They were great clubs. Grew up seeing a lot of people playing with this set and I kinda knew that they were an iconic set in the history of golf like the Ping Eyes. Subsequently, PGA-PGA TOUR Properties wanted out of the equipment deal with PGA Golf and spent the better part of the next three years trying to get its name back from Morton Grove. 1950s MacGregor Tommy Armour 5 iron stainless steel golf club silver Scot good condition. 845 TI INSERT. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Troubled waters started churning for PGA Golf in 1982. Everything was just a bit more pristine. Its clearly an 845 promo. As an experiment we once lined up a handful of the latest Big Bertha Driver, all with the Factory Cally Shaft. Not sure if theyll ever be played again, but they will maintain their position of prominence in my collection. Also, I have seen a set of Nicklaus's with rifle flighted's. iacas, January 26, 2020 Ill always be proud to have been a part of building one of golfs iconic weapons. Im rooting for the latest incarnation to be a big success. If this item contains incorrect or inappropriate information please, Relevant Single Irons; Putters; Wedges; Fairway Woods/Hybrids; Drivers; Golf Bags; Wanted Tommy Armour Golf Clubs & Equipment Tommy Armour Drivers 845 Forged Persimmon 845 FS Silver Scot 845s HTS Steel 845s Ti Face Ayrtime EVO 300cc EVO 300cc Plus EVO 420cc Hot Scot Hot Scot 855s Ti 100 Tommy Gun Ti . I think if Tommy Armour had launched a less-offset version of the 845, it would have run for another three or four years.. I still have my set of Nickent irons sitting in the storage locker with a bunch of other old clubs. golfinbrad There were a lot of people involved in the success of that club but Im really excited to see what Dicks does with it.. The club itself was a labor of love for a lot of reasons and Im proud to say I took part in the development and launch of that product Ive always had a soft spot in my heart for it. These clubs have been well kept and are in great condition. Also, the combination of chrome and brushed silver makes the club face appear smaller than it is. Greens were slower than I expected( I guess about a 9-9.5) I don't have a reference for you, been looking for one for years myself, just had to comment on those clubs. Cannot remember what it was called..) For a while the Eye2 irons were off limits to players and some tour players switched to the 845 with Mark Calcavecchia being the most notable. Tommy Armour 845 Forged Irons 4-GW (used) . I probably own 18 sets of these vintage beauties. I have a set of 845s. Single Irons; Shafts & Components . But that's to be expected when you sell 660,000 sets over a seven-year period. I've heard there is a book/catalog out there showing the clubs thru the years??? One copper faced Colokroms and one set of Rec. I think MGS missed the boat on their review of this club. Who cares about a club that absolutely no one plays anymore? Thats where 835 came from, so the 845 was just 10 more.. 845 Forged #6. Played all our rounds at 7am ish and both courses were pretty much full all morning. Would it surprise you to learn the man who designed the Tommy Armour 845s started out teaching high-school English? (back then it was one male and one female PGA Tour Player. Theyre walking on a tightrope.. The clubfitter for my replacement set said I should keep the MT irons for historic purposes. Nov 20, 2007. eli_yates. Apart from that it was presented nicely. Not sure, but I couldn't find a threadaddressing vintage (40s,50s,60s,70s) Macgregor clubs. C $267.01 . Not noticeable at address. Dicks Sporting Goods bought Sports Authoritys assets that July and is steadily trying to rebuild Tommy Armour into a high-quality, high-performing, high-value house brand. His first assignment was to develop a new iron. What a fantastic story, I am happy to say I am still playing a set of the original TA 845s Silver Scotts. Saw these offered for around $150 free shipping and thought I'd give them a try before I spent $1000 or more on Mizuno or Miura. $140.00. I did play in one Varsity match against Duke University and my famous acknowledgement was when the Varsity Coach, Howell T. Hollis, told me I was academically ineligible for the 1965 season. The mindset, apparently, was if it aint broke, lets not spend money we dont have to fix it. Hope this helps.. You can post now and register later. By 1999, Tommy Armour released the TA 845 EVO line, the first true replacement for the 845s. Copyright 2023. You are looking at a used VINTAGE SET of MENS RIGHT handed 354616939982. . Sports I have a few sets on M85's. I wish Nickent hadnt bitten the dust that would be another great business story fro MYGOLFSPY. The best part is when a golf pro at a course happens to look in my bag they go bananas and are super impressed that I am still putting them through their paces. The 845 irons were my favorite set of irons ever. From throwback jerseys to classic golf saddle shoes and a stick shift, the days of . (thirty one years later, she still is the love of my life!). The 2006 iron line has people talking and it's fun to see golfers getting excited over Tommy Armour. Great story!! . Wonderful article, John. I was an English teacher and I had a friend who helped me get a job as a sales rep for MaxFli golf balls, Hoeflich told MyGolfSpy. I cant bring myself to replace them because I know exactly how far each iron goes and that is important to me. Thank you I gamed the 845s back in the day, wonderful irons to play. Started 44 minutes ago. 1 Iron . Tommy Armour 845S Silver Scot Single 4 Iron Tour Step Stiff Steel Mens RH 38.5" . VENDRE! $20.00 shipping. Was: AU $621.82. The clubfitter for my replacement set said I should keep the MT irons for historic purposes. Lol. By mid-1997, U.S. Industries was losing its appetite for golf and wanted out. #4. 845 SILVER SCOT (GREY FINISH) 845 SILVER SCOT (HTS) 845 TA-24. Maybe this will be the year I get fitted and buy some 2015 technology on closeout. Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scot Irons 2,3,5,6 (4 Clubs) Regular Flex Right Handed. Plays his DCIs. They sure did give Ping a run for the money back then,as they were less expensive and performed as good. i was just wondering if anyone plays or had palyed these irons. The one turn off was the small head, and aspect that has also turned me off from the Mizuno MP5. Absolutely, but when the competition innovates and you dont? $399.98. NWT!!!!! Hoeflichs track record is impressive. Arnie I still regularly game two Nickent Pipe putters, one at home from April through end of season and another here in New Zealand from mid-January through end of March (southern hemi summer). Review Of Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scot Irons. Both plays worked to perfection, if by perfection you mean disaster. With no marketing money, the company couldnt promote new products, which was fine because R&D had no money to develop new products. All Shafts & Components; Club Heads; Shafts; Shaft Sets; Grips; Grips Sets; . Articles, Upper Deck Highlights Different Hockey Card Products, Re-Examining 1991 Classic Draft Football Cards, Kobe Bryants Jersey Auctioned for Over $5 Million. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google, (your email address will not be published). Hickory shafts for nearly all of the club manufactures back in that era got there shafts from a MacGregor curing barn in Dayton. A friend has the newer TA-1s from Dicks, and I have to say, they are the real deal in game improvement clubs. The Tommy Armour 845 name still has cachet, making this a welcome revival. Players who know about the history of the game and care about things like golf history and the evolution of golf clubs probably have a good understanding of the Tommy Armour brand. Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro Vibratory finish. Some have posted on this board that when they went to bend the lofts, the clubs broke. Cobra happily filled that void. Bought the whole set (3i-pw) for my younger brother as a starter set, but took em out just for fun and fell in love! Excellent used condition 810 39 irons 718MB PW is a 46 black sm7 vokey Nippon Mondus 3 105 X Stiff Shafts Standard length and lie Pick up Bittern 3918 or ., 1309169292. Well, glad you enjoyed it. I have a few pre-1920's hickory shafted Dayton Ohio stamped clubs. I played a set of 845s for a sort time as a jr. golfer. I bought mine on Ebay - paid 153$ - breat value for money. 845. (Ian Poulter, who at that time could not break an egg!) The 845s may have spent seven years at the top of the charts, but its legacy is that of a One-Hit Wonder. Page One says cut expenses by slashing R&D and marketing to the bone. Page Two says cut prices to make the sales numbers look good to investors, margin be damned.. Being that I have not see these in person would you consider the head size: A. It came with a custom fitting system. The Clubs. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Nice Left Handed Ping Heppler FLOKI 34" Putter w/Cover Strong Arc #327923 at the best online prices at eBay! Single Irons; Shafts & Components . Maybe a little too much offset, but I needed it back then Like the Eye 2s and 1st gen Big Bertha, the 845s just wanted to go straight Lets see what this roller coaster will bring us next. $14.99 . Even if I get a new set, I am keeping them. Buy why? Bob MacNally ran a great company. Our UTry program gives you the opportunity to try out brand new products from the game's top brands for 14 days for only $25, or $100 for an iron set. Titleist SM6 54 S Grind Its also known as out-kicking your coverage. PGA Golf had been a mostly unspectacular performer throughout its history, but that former English teacher we mentioned was about to shake things up but good. Brown painted shafts Lots of great stories about the Silver Scot. For example: every time my clubmaker bends vokey's they are like butter, but when he was bending my 54* sm to a 52* he was grunting and you could hear it creak and pophe got it to 52* anyways but I was a little scared. they're dirt cheap right now, have a great rifle shafts in em and forged. buisthreeputt; Jul 31, 2005; General Golf . Driver: EXS10.5, weights neutral ||FWs:Rogue4W + 7WHybrid: Big Bertha OS4H at 22 ||Irons: Mavrik MAX 5i-PWWedges: MD3:48,54MD4:58|| Putter:Inertial NM SL-583F, 34"Ball: QStar Tour - Divide ||Bag: Three 5 stand bag. I still hit great shots with tHem. In the 80s, if you were a scratch player, you played Wilson Staff. $35. Wedge. Unfortunately, the ownership game of hot potato was about to enter the lightning round. 845 FORGED (2) Show More. *We may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site. I just hope that TA and Dicks get the 845s right and more inline with the look and feel of the major OEMs. Heads are the same. I am surprised that the berrylium copper version was not mentioned , sorry for the misspelling , I thought that the price of them approached $2000. . They were slippy by the back nine. Played the silver scotts for 12 years, even carried the 0 iron for awhile! We had 15 players in our first event, including Teddy Hayes (Senior Tour 1993) Skip Kendall Dickey Pride and Mike Brisky (All three played on the PGA Tour) haga de sta publicacin su favorita feb 14 Will still play the TA 845s Silver Scots for many more days to come. Not sure if anyone can help, but I have a set of TAs and I cant seem to find where in their history they come from. The feel is closer to my PW than my 52 and 56, and the price was right. 845 FS. If you have questions about this era ofg, Just buffed up, lengthened a half inch and regripped a set of MT Tourney. Upper heel area of cavity: PAT. I know I spent more on a full set of Win. Menu. Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scot Single LH Pitching Wedge TA Steel Shaft GC! 35. Free shipping for many products! I am sure Dicks, who started small, will be a superb asset. I have a set of graphite shafted 845 Ti irons. . It is the only iron I use. I should have known something wasnt right. Ad posted 2 days ago Save this ad . AU $310.90. Tommy Armours name has been associated with so many clubs over the decades MacGregor Silver Scot Persimmon woods were of the highest quality and were responsible for many professional wins. Next Hooters restaurants, Mike McNeil agreed to add $50.00 per week to the purse provided we change the name to the Hooters Tour. And I didnt notice and grammar errors! Probably the cheapest way to get into forged player's blades. Since then I moved to Calloway but my 845s 56 degree is still in my bag and delivers great results in and out of the bunker including some short lobs. I had a set of these back in the 1980s but got them pinched Famous Five: Jack Nicklaus' Key Major-Winning ClubsMacGregor Tommy Armour SS1W Eye-O-Matic 60 Driver.White Fang Putter.MacGregor Tommy Armour 945W Driver.MacGregor Trending Popular Once Hoeflich and his team had a general idea of what they wanted, Hoeflich went to California to work with R.G. A former assistant professional to me, Jeff Matheson, went into sales for them as well as a former junior golfer of mine, Ted Meyer. Mr. McNally told me if I would relinquish the name The Hooters Tour and rename it The Tommy Armour Tour, his Company would add $10,000 a year to the purse plus give all registered Tommy Armour Tour Players a tour staff bag at no cots and the 845s 1 iron through all four wedges for $190.00. Aren't you concerned you might bust up the woods hitting rocky range balls? I got to play OCN when I was there a few years ago, and I get to play at Trump one a year or every other year as part of our local inter-club league. in Destinations and Travel, By Tommy Armour Royal Scot Under Cut Irons 5-SW Golf Clubs. TA1. Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 845 FS. Sign up for a new account in our community. ADD TO CART. RARE Tommy Armour PGA Silver Scot Forged Blades 2-9 LH, Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scot 48* Pitching Wedge. 1P24B-V 1P24B Miniature Pentode NOS TUBE QTY=20. I play a laminated maple 4 wood (Ram Investor II) that has been in my bag for 20 years-and in my grandfathers bag for probably about 20 years before that-and I have had no issues with modern balls (range balls or otherwise). You can see the 845 influence all over Nickents cavity backs, and they used tungsten heel and toe weight pads well ahead of the rest of the industry. TORCH. I'm the guy that said they may not be forged. Less than 18 months later, Huffy sold Gen-X minus the Tommy Armour brand back to its original owner for an undisclosed amount, but were guessing it wasnt at a profit. I recieved a call from a man by the name of Rick Paprick. On the other hand, Tommy Armours sales had doubled to nearly $50 million since the launch of the 845s. They are definitely trying a few new tricks, such as a pre-worn leading edge for better turf interaction. I got the Wilson Staff RM forged cavity backs in my avatar. Thoroughly enjoyed the read, great job John. Post your items for free Local pickup Buy Cheap or Sell Second Hand Iron sets easily with Yomla. $29.99. Our largest event over the 10 year run was the St. Louis Open. August 1987 was eventful for Tommy Armour, as British conglomerate Hanson Trust bought Kidde, Inc., lock, stock, and barrel for $1.6 billion. Huffy, as it turned out, was sinking faster than anyone realized. If my memory serves me right, the 845 hit the market just as Ping and the USGA started arguing over the Eye2. Probably just me. It seems nearly every golfer has a story involving the original Tommy Armour Silver Scot 845s. Mike. Driver. At nearing 77, a severe stroke, two knee replacements and hit by an automobile while waking, I am blessed to still be able to afford and play the greatest game on earth seven days a week here in Sarasota Florida at Palm Aire Country Club. NEW RH Cobra LTDX Iron Set Steel REG-5-G. Ben Hogan APEX PC 3-E Iron Set? Great iron, i have never played better. No one was using graphic designers or product development people the way they do today. Weak advertising support combined with production problems compounded the issue, creating months-long backorders and impatient customers with money to spend but no Tommy Armour product to buy. The course is packed pretty solid this time of the year. 13 watching. RThat was also the time period where Callaway was living more off of their name than they were off of innovation. Jack Nicklaus broke a lot of face inserts and his primary driver used through about '86 was repaired many times, and this using balata. Nor many 3 putts because I am usually with 2 ft.. At 78, having a lot of reading knowledge, and club building; witnessed Ping start up with a putter and the comparable recent computerization of the carbon-poly golf shaft, allowing superior advances, I sure hope Tommys clubs incorporates these improvements and can compete with Callaway/Taylor, etc..

Tom Silva Boat, How Many Miles To Drive Before Smog Check, Meeks Mortuary Obituaries, Articles T

tommy armour silver scot forged irons