angeles crest highway death

mountain lions in new hampshire

However, as far as I can tell theres no Deep State Conspiracy to cover up a breeding population of cougars in the Granite State. HOLDERNESS, N.H. (AP) Two of the known mountain lions in New Hampshire have spent their 15 years in close proximity to humans. I'm sorry go ahead you're on the air. Thank you. And to anyone listening I would just say you know fishing game who wants proof right. Which which I think Pat and I have both experienced. I tracked cats and all the western states. Patrick Tate: So I'm not sure what subspecies of cat they're using to differentiate by those markings but once she was describing the White other face in the black. Peter Biello: Ok. 44-N Links. We did a short segment about mountain lion sightings earlier this year and and after which I was sent a photo and also a video recording that was mostly just audio because it was so dark the photo just a quick reverse Google image search you can put images online and see where else where else they've been posted revealed that the photo had been taking out taken out in Wyoming and has been used you know hundreds of times to claim and the person who sent it to me said it had been taken New Hampshire. Well let me ask maybe Pat and Rick about this. Peter Biello: So a little bit of nostalgia maybe for it for a better world embodied in the mountain lion. Patrick Tate: I don't believe it is. We've met Fish and Game's BURDEN OF PROOF. Patrick Tate: Same here in New Hampshire too. And in fact in 2011 when it was announced that the eastern cougar was officially extinct the reason that announcement was made is because they said really that it never existed. Peter Biello: Well John thanks very much for the story really appreciate it. Its closest living relative is the cheetah. I have one that's more elaborate than that. However if if and when it does happen it takes up a lot of resources looking at that situation and identifying what's going on because when you start out you don't know it's a hoax. The unheralded hero of Apollo John Hubble the man who knew the way to the moon. There's just one subspecies of North American mountain lion. Current conditions in New Hampshire would support a mountain lion, according to Tate, as forests have returned, allowing for prey species to become more prevalent. If you have them email exchange at an HP board or give us a call to tell us your story. And I saw you cat about four feet long from nose to tail come across from the water across the road and just leap over a six foot perimeter fence in a single bound. Patrick Tate: Yeah yeah. That's why we always go back to the physical evidence to support what they're reporting. Patrick Tate: Well. So that that's more or less I think why I'm here and why I got into this in nineteen ninety nine I found a what appeared to be a print of a mountain lion and that was in the Osprey mountains and I thought well OK that's that's a print. They absolutely do. I believe I saw one that's fine and I'm not looking for an immediate story. Tonight, Sean McDonald investigates,. And there are thousands of mountain lions killed every year legally through hunting, and there have been untold tens of thousands of mountain lions killed by hunters over the last hundred years, says Mark Elbroch, the Puma Program Director for Panthera, a global wild cat conservation organization, So even the folks who live with mountain lions still have a fancy and see something thats not there to me thats incredible.. He shifted gears in 2016 and began producing Outside/In, a podcast and radio show about the natural world and how we use it. His work has won him several awards, including two regional Edward R. Murrow awards, one national Murrow, and the Overseas Press Club of America's award for best environmental reporting in any medium. If it's just in the middle of a greenfield you can't prove anything. There are corollaries in other states. There's never, ever, ever, ever been a documented case of a black mountain lion. You know you have to have a license and it's hard to get that license a license to own a mountain lion. They sent he sent his scent those two samples with his to Wyoming an unfortunate Fish and Game Commission there did not get a positive read on it but send it back to Central Michigan University where they did a nuclear micro satellite DNA analysis and found no significant difference between that scat and other scats that were tested from the Rocky Mountain region. The DNA the DNA that they were able to pull from the cat suggested that it was a dispersed mountain lion that came. So do they. I hope she's listening and she had spoke to a lot of different people ended up having a couple of sightings of her alone without sort of by accident. Peter Biello: What about the idea of tourism like us leaving aside the fact that it is not on the Endangered Species Act is it. Caller: Well I think Patrick I recognized your name. Its impossible to say, but I think the odds are pretty good that some of these sightings are legit. Have it reported down in the Keene area. Peter Biello: We got an e-mail question from Robert in Epsom who asks are sightings or encounters with these big cats less dangerous here where they're passing through than out west where those same mountain lines might be establishing territory Rick. But I was riding a mountain bike not far from my house. Peter Biello: Worth mentioning if we're scaring anybody question a mysterious mountain lions lurking perhaps in someone's backyard. If youve got photo trap evidence of a Mountain Lion, send it in, and we'll send it along to the appropriate state or federal agency! The way that we define species has undergone a revolution with the advent of DNA testing. Incredible sighting and I called him the fish and game and they immediately sent me to a website to look at all the bobcat pictures. It's not an emerging endangered species no work no there are there are populations in specific states so the Florida panther is is an endangered species that sub population is in fact listed under the Endangered Species Act. You treat it as if it's a sincere situation. Lions Clubs Int'l Links: LionNet NH Links 2011 -2012 . So for those reasons I don't believe the standards are too high the amount of game cameras out on the landscape to record images department alone through contracts had over 150 throughout the state biologists go through various deer yards throughout the year. Sam Evans-Brown: Well and I think and the last takeaway here is everyone I think probably agrees that any possible sightings that have been seen. So we're fixated on natural but there's other possibilities. You know I'm like seriously I can't get a picture of the thing but what it what it is. New Hampshire Public Radio | Caller: Oh yeah. Love hearing these stories. The states never denied mountain lions are here, and theyve never admitted mountain lions are here. But Absence of Evidence Is Not Evidence of Absence, Right? Less successful males roam further. Well just that I have evidence and it was not it was denied by fishing game at the time and I you know there's I don't need to prove to anybody that I saw one just like some of your callers said okay. So I did a bunch of research and all the documentation I found was there art are not any pieces of DNA of Eastern online. BUT THAT SAID, Id love to be proven wrong. Theyve always said when we have verifiable evidence to say a mountain lion has been, is, or was in the state that wed acknowledge that and give that information out, says Pat Tate, the furbearer biologist with New Hampshire Fish and Game, who insists theres no conspiracy. Email exchange it an HP fraud org or give us a call 1 800 8 9 2 6 4 7 7. Fish and Game then deny the evidence. It's got a a smudge of black and bobcats and links just don't have that we don't have any other cards. And they used to be this whole list of the different subspecies of mountain lion and it has since been reduced to just to the North American and the South American. Peter Biello: This is the exchange on an HP yard today we're talking about the mysterious elusive majestic Mystic Mountain Lion. Patrick Tate: So Cougar Mountain Lion katama. Mike you're on the air. Peter Biello: The number is 1 800 8 9 2 6 4 7 7. So what counts as verifiable evidence? Peter Biello: Listeners give us a call if you have a question or a story of a sighting 1 800 8 9 2 6 4 7 7. Sue Morse: The big cat really commands the utmost respect not so much fear but fascination. and territorial animals are much more inclined to create a problem with passer bys than dispersing animals in fact I'd be totally shocked if a dispersal would encounter with a human purposefully unless they had already had some type of training to do so. Post your sightings and NH photos here! Through DNA they approximate area in the United States or North America where I was born. Peter Biello: This is NHK PR Good morning and HP are summer car raffle is back and now's the time to get your early bird tickets. I've had a number of people call up and say I found a scout in the woods and I want it DNA identified. Thank you very much for being here. Russ, from Sandwich (and Bedford) asks: In Sandwich New Hampshire, everybody has a story about seeing a mountain lion. And as the biologist who's gonna stand on this and if I'm going to say this is a proven picture I need to be able to stand on it so soundly and have the evidence so I going to go through it with a fine tooth comb kept picking pieces apart trying to answer these pieces. Caller: And then there's the Lily Pond Road and then there's a six foot tall fence. Patrick Tate: Well I've never seen an Easter cougar so I can't say when I've handled these 10 cougars and whatnot. And you know all that. WMUR NH Chronicle Mountain Lions in NH Part I and Part II. And really whenever you hear tiny code and long rope like tale it's kind of hard to pin this sighting on any other creature rather than an outline or just nothing else really matches that description. I mean no doubt a seen Bobcat seen his stuff. The exchange is a production of New Hampshire Public Radio. The engineers Dan Colgan our senior producer is Allan Grimm. I saw the tail end of a literally from behind the shoulder The Long Tail mountain lion crossing the highway going from Password to often Village downtown. The supervisor that hired me in the game division in October of 1978 passed on to me this whole big folder of mountain lion information and sightings going back probably a couple decades. But no proof was offered.

Taylor Thorne Shooter Biography, 2003 Topps Chrome Basketball Set, Police Helicopter Activity Now, Where Can I Buy Marzetti Potato Salad Dressing, Articles M

mountain lions in new hampshire