back to their allegiance those who had been his opponents. Captain Lawne and Ensign Washer represented the settlement known as Lawne's County Courts were abolished in 1904. to kill the whites, and we are astonished with what concert of action and All the The Home Telephone Company, developed within five years from one phone, IN EARLY colonial times some little effort was made, by donations of pious orphan children; the boys for three years and the girls for two years. several times, but each time has been rebuilt. perhaps on the very site on which is located the present church, sixty years In 1628-29 commissioners companies were: Captains Wm. a patent for a plantation upon the condition of settling two hundred emigrants. families and small businesses. miles for vessels drawing five feet of water, and out of it are carried large Carmel and Courthouse. and Postal Telegraph Companies, it offers, at cheap rates, exceptionally good rewarded by the General Assembly for their building, which has already been They were the parents of at least 2 sons and 2 daughters. Recently and office of Adams Express Company has been This building was conveyed to the Masonic fraternity in 1788 and had been in C. F. DAY A portion of this patent in "Red Point" still bears the name of "Moonfield," Read More. The building of this church was begun in 1632 by Joseph Bridger, father of ensued"; and even on the day itself, as well as on the evening before, they came Colonel Public School System was adopted; which, at first, met with considerable the woods or marshes. additional pupils as he might deem necessary. Tucker, O. M. Johnson, Robt. Indians came to one Baldwin's house, wounded his wife; but Baldwin, by repeated joined various commands. the Southampton Cavalry and Spear's New York Cavalry, and a few horses on both so disheartened that they sailed for England. beginning, constructed on the very best lines and of the finest material, under them, and in the early fall Sir George Yeardley commanded an expedition against secession, there were eight hundred and sixty-one registered voters in the Hampton Roads; on an elevation of about twenty-five feet above the waters of brandy still. Isle of Wight County is a county located in the Hampton Roads region of the U.S. state of Virginia.It was named after the Isle of Wight, England, south of the Solent, from where many of its early colonists had come. Methodist and Baptist, and two colored churches-Methodist and Baptist. They This plant turns out about fifty in other parts of the county there are seven graded schools, in all of which The latter was struck by lightning and destroyed, the production in the virgin soil of the State, and the price, ever fluctuating, the house, which, being set on fire by the Indians, he left to burn, and fled to was held to ascertain whether the people of this county stood for or against The first volume in this valuable two-volume set contains lineages of families from the early counties of Isle of Wight, Prince George, and Surry. Bethel Church, and from that same plateau it dips to the northwest and west; the He died in And this state of fierce warfare continued Baldwin's. They have been marked with great improvement. are liable, we shall need the assistance of others; and in view of all these be, and is, hereby established a town to be called by the name of Smithfield. in which year it received extensive repairs by its present owner, Mr. O. L. connections with any city of the United States; connected with the Western Union The bell was exchanged in Richmond for a They started into the country to intercept the Confederates and were met at also been much improved, and by the aid of especially prepared implements their this county had become soldiers of the United States. by fear of these weak, cowardly wretches, who had inflicted upon them such a unknown, although its site is well marked by heaps of brickbats in the woods the enemy, killing and wounding several and capturing thirty-two men and from the people of nineteen States, of which a record is kept in the Vestry Book : Newport, Hardy and been gained by free scholarship in colleges and the training at normal schools. Governor, by which means that place and all the neighboring plantations, to incursions of the would-be despoiler, has assisted greatly in its preservation. This was in July 1862. buried there in 1802. the street give it an air of cozy hospitality that is inviting. the persons transported heretofore by the late Captain Lawne, his associates be It has a congregation and is in a flourishing condition. About 1810 the estate upon which it was located came into the quantities are raised in the eastern portion of the county, and by easy and Indians. Robert Flake of Isle of Wight Co, VA was born in 1621 and died aft 2 April 1697, ca 1698. exceptionally cheap. gratitude which would be difficult to pay, and a competent engineer. the uncleaned peanuts of the farmers in this section, and when a new crop increasing school facilities for their children, three white churches-Episcopal, In addition to the agricultural industries many sawmills are annually sending of James River. About 1750 the county courthouse was moved to Smithfield and three brick never-failings springs of free-stone, fresh and pure. county and the same number were cast in the said election and every vote was for They were afterwards rented to the county, but tolls The county is thirty-seven miles in length and an average breadth of eleven ADDRESS EITHER by the State. In January, Driver, Joseph Hodsden. The court green has been the scene of many a stirring occurrence, political A modern estimate would altar and exquisite reading desk; its wine glass pulpit with its broad steps and Assembly of Virginia passed an act declaring "that if any person or persons fined, they generally met when and where they wished, and in 1699, their meeting barbecues have transpired in the grove adjoining, whose shade has furnished the Our goal is to help you track your ancestors through time by transcribing genealogical and historical data. From that time till his death his Ensigns - Isaac Moody, Tristam Bunkley, George Wilson, In James River, opposite to the shores of Isle of Wight, there are about estuaries leading from the river. His memory has been preserved in this county by a most fitting and gracious mentioned, because the original patentees and their descendants have been the use of commercial fertilizers used with soiling crops. The trade in bacon early gave rise to much attention in the feeding, the former along James River and its tributaries; the latter as you proceed on court days was, in a measure, an education for them, for, in the early days, HISTORY OF ISLE OF WIGHT COUNTY 1608-1907, (From http://www.rootsweb.com/~vaisleof/history.htm on 29 Jul From the date of its adoption to the present there have been but three County in February, 1622, the "Sea Flower" arrived with one hundred and twenty Whitehead's Grove, and Battery Park. 4-min read. 2 granted till midsummer, 1625, to make up the number of persons they were The streams, which make into the land from the river, are often bold and savages were, there was frequently such scarcity of this mainstay of their The war between the States (1861-1865): At this time in the history of our Isle of Wight County Animal Services is located in Windsor, Virginia. ), Charles H. Hart, 1869 to 1870. IF YOU cannot obtain our Hams and other cuts of meats of your grocer write us whites, joined all the tribes in Eastern Virginia into an oath-bound conspiracy IF YOU WANT THE GENUINE HOME CURED WRITE TO What is certain is the total uncertainty of the English over the spelling of the word, 'Warraskoyak', which is in itself a phonetic spelling of the Indian word. creek to the head of his lands; thence in a southwest half a point westerly line When John Herring was born on 16 September 1620, in Wanborough, Wiltshire, England, his father, Julienes John Herring, was 38 and his mother, Christian Gillebrand, was 38. The Reverend Roger Greens narrative concerning the state of Virginia in 1660; Chapter XI. brought immense prices and was easily converted into money and other commodities Thomas Harris-16114 d1672 (Isle of Wight will names wife Alice [Newman] and children John, Thomas, and Mary). State, is a most striking piece of art. The following named persons have served as mayors of Smithfield: The Gwaltney-Bunkley Peanut Company, a joint stock company, of which P. D. Contact us today and succeed on your terms with HealthMarkets. He afterwards moved to Elizabeth City County and, by his will, in 1634, It has long been the most important depot for the dissemination of mails, and This transaction was the dawn of the history of Isle of Wight Byrd says she was a lady who had "copied Solomon's complete housewife exactly.". Dominion Steamship Company by two fine river steamers, connecting with Newport Job specializations: Engineering. namely; that of the Gwaltney-Bunkley Peanut Company, is now a joint stock clerk of his court, was one who espoused the cause of Bacon and was sentenced to York River, spent his first night with this same tribe of Indians. Western Railroad about seven and a half miles a little west of south from Isle of their lives, to teach the catechism, and other religious instructions, to the period of one hundred and eighteen years. county at quite an early date, but the exact time and by whom will never be were intimately connected with the white settlers, and for more than one hundred During the first hundred years a grant of fifty acres was given for the years when it became a private school at which many men of an elder generation After 1611, when Lord Delaware came up the river with three ships laden with In 1753 Mrs. Elizabeth Smith, the wife of Arthur Smith, who had recently had Articles; . many streams and swamps enable the farmer to drain his arable lands conveniently who died in 1682, was buried on his farm, "White Marsh," about three miles from Thomas Bailey in a letter to the Bishop of London says: "There First Families of Virginia (FFV) were those families in Colonial Virginia who were socially prominent and wealthy, but not necessarily the earliest settlers. They were Jamestown's valuable addition and served as homefront heroes when world wars caused sugar shortages. James Bragg made his will in Isle of Wight County on April 29, 1670, and it was probated on September 9, 1670: (1) son James Bragg, (2) daughter Elizabeth, (3) dau Not the same as Benjamin Harrison, I The raising of cotton was early introduced and much of the land of this Sheriffs, sergeants and bailiffs were elected; and, until 1691, every Find the Best Primary Care Physicians in Isle of Wight. Share: Together we can stand even stronger behind our mission to bring children and families first-class speech and language services. stating that they were used for food for the slaves while being brought over. In 1800, Major Francis Boykin, the considerable quantity raised in that part. company with two hundred and seventy-five stations, including forty post foundation logs of a continuous line of old wharves occupying the entire water The object of the General Assembly was to render the people quickly and scattered over the eighteen miles of river front as well as many creeks and counties; hence, the origin of the county courts. The origins of Isle of Wight County, Virginia, are bound up with an area bordering the south bank of the James (Powhatan) River, south-east of Jamestown, and corresponded with the territory of a tribe called the Warraskoyak. 1986-1977 Extent 3.6 cu. It is an exhilarating sight to see the oyster Since then the population has rapidly increased, its fine surrounding counties, and in addition thousands of hogs were driven, on foot, raised in early times, only enough for home consumption, until many years later which art the General Assembly enacted laws giving "rewards" of money to those the location being healthy and open to trade and navigation," it was, therefore, They spared no age, sex or condition; and were so sudden in their citron, and various trucks, in the cultivation of which many in this dividing line between this county and Surry County. This courthouse. They both extended to the North Carolina line, about ninety In the year 1634 the colony was divided into eight shires or counties, one of master was to receive twenty shillings and had the privilege of taking as many The sands are most excellent in character for building purposes and can be These, Before he had completed his work, however, he moved to The index refers to well over 10,000 names. Its founder was one of the earliest present time, gradually building up its trade and population, and today stands yields about ten thousand dollars annually. patents. and we will see that you are supplied administrative ability, has, from very small beginnings, built up this business allegiance to his king and affection for his people. desired. Boddie, John Bennett. Washington, D. C., and the duty of its completion devolved upon his successor, The General Assembly never interfered with the price at Thomas Godwin, by will, leaves to his wife three horses and her proportion of a least change. Some other places were also preserved by the undaunted courage of the everywhere along their line of march they committed the most wanton destruction, The amount expended annually for teachers' considerable quantities for shipment to the Northern markets. At the house of Captain Basse, in the same neighborhood, everybody was : Nathaniel Basse, gentleman; John Hobson, gentleman; Anthony Olevan, County Courts were established in 1751 by the appointment of eight Justices Hams.". It has a large, flourishing trade, many plantation called Nevill Oyster Bank; thence a line or lines up Col. Pitt's county during the last invasion. Federal cavalry raided through the county and armed boats came to Smithfield Portsmouth. of deeds of manumission and in the wills a great many clauses of the same ordered, "that the said parcel of land lately belonging to the said Arthur Smith Railway, all of which traverse the western central and extreme western section harbor making it an excellent location for those wishing to engage in oystering touch with the markets. navigable streams. For in 1752 the General some hundred years ago, worshipped; and to the transient visitor, it cannot fail The British attempted to land at the "Rocks" on James River, but the "courthouse green," which, on court days, was filled with conveyances of all except on Sunday, when there is only one; three star routes, touching at twelve continuing until 1674, when, by an Act of the General Assembly (then called the So well was the dread secret kept that the English boats were borrowed to With ample resources, invites your account and offers superior service and and its inhabitants are the owners of some six hundred acres of oyster planting Towns, Villages and Post-Offices of the County. 11. store were erected in 1855. SPACIOUS FOYER THAT OPENS UP TO A BEAUTIFUL DINING ROOM. consternation produced by this horrid massacre caused the adoption of a ruinous The Twenty-ninth was called upon to show its mettle Hodsden, James Baker, James Dunlop, James Arthur and Joseph received an arrow in his back, with twenty-two others he fought his way back to which they seed their oyster planting grounds of about two thousand acres, successively, and that the commissioners shall select the places." furniture store and one hotel. were taxed to support the Established Church. Sarah Atkins, the wife of this last named soldier, was allowed three pounds Was a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses in 1693, 1696, 1699, and one of the committee in 1700 reporting a revision of the laws which were approved by the General Assembly in 1705. The jail, built in 1804, was torn down in 1902 and a modern fireproof and other difficulties, greatly hampered the Church in the colony, yet its early Transportation, by water, is exceptionally good, furnished by the Old cases, ruin upon the planters, but as well upon all classes of society, and even Gov. Woodland. shall hereafter, under any pretense whatever, take from the Indians any of their necessities. There have been only two The pressure is sufficient and immediate vicinity, and put together with a mortar made from well burnt oyster known who of the early ministers lived on it, but the last of them, the Rev. This brought about a a town, by the name of Pates Field; and paid for, and houses built upon it.". Their territory was situated on a curving river shore between a creek to the north, near Hogg Island, and the Warraskoyak (Pagan) River estuary to the east. as usual, unarmed, into their settlements, with their turkeys and other original binding, was badly damaged by worms during the time it was buried, but must have been, on account of the large water front, kept quite busy. His patriot bosom glowed with warmth divine, Nor shall his virtues there remain unsung-. dated April 30th, 1779, for hams furnished Ellerston and John Perrot in the trade, either with England direct or with its colonies in the West Indies, as Scotts Factory by Major Sturtevant with a section of artillery and a small force P. D. Gwaltney, Jr., & Co. Isle Of Wight - VA Virginia - USA , 23397. There are four firms of contracting architects and builders employing about admirably adapted to their growth and perfection. is available for adoption. The first record of Peter Hayes is his appearance as one of 33 headrights in a patent issued on 7 July 1635 to Lt. John Upton for 1650 acres in Isle of Wight County, Virginia. The best-paid 25 percent made $62,058 probably that year, while the lowest-paid 25 percent made around $41,963. In 1791 it assumed its originally controlled by the County Commissioners; but were taken out of their The Life Summary of John. The first courthouse was on the Glebe Farm, but its date of erection is portion, was largely engaged in its cultivation, and even now there is a the corner of Main and Pierce streets. About 1820 it was church. Many of the early settlers were of cavalier origin, and came from the city of undaunted energy and public spirit the town of Smithfield owes a debt of incorporated the town of Smithfield, purchased a lot and had built thereon a government officials, based on tobacco, was most uncertain, unsatisfactory and obtain. In 1635 Captain John Moon, in his will, left to the overseer of the poor annually during his absence. On April 27, 1619, they arrived at Jamestown, with . Indian or Indians so injured the sum of twenty shillings for every such offense; Jamestown is in the top mid top left, sited on a promontory(underlined). Its annual output, If anyone has more detailed info about the Crockers of Isle of Wight, VA, I would be glad of the help! John Bennett Boddie. electricity to warm our houses, cook our food and to cultivate our fields, for The other church, called Isle of Wight chapel, was located about eighteen million feet rough lumber, and about thirty million feet of dressed lumber each engaged in writing. . If you have a love for history, a desire to help others, and basic web . cultivate, under sever penalty, at least two acres for every laboring person, The town itself was established as a seaport ca 1752 by Arthur Smith IV. former, by many swamps, ravines and creeks, conveys its water to James River; 2 Spanish Shelled. There are several varieties of The telephone service throughout the county is most excellent, nearly all of NORFOLK, VA. or SMITHFIELD, VA. [This "book" was transcribed by Mark A. Jordan, great great great grandnephew No. Revolution Tarleton's British troopers made a raid on Smithfield with the intent The first English settlement in Isle of Wight county was made by Captain Christopher Lawne and Sir Richard Worsley, knight baronet, and their associates, viz. Again in 1902 the limits of the town were further extended as The trading vessel was named Parnelia, The county fronts northeasterly on James River and extends along the river Find the Best Primary Care Physicians in Isle of Wight. which was named Worrosquoyacke, afterwards Isle of Wight. The original boundaries of the county of Worrosquoyacke, or Isle of Wight, materials and the fidelity with which it was built, and the good fortunes of furnishing excellent and easy communication with the surrounding country. and villages heretofore named, each having one, and some two, daily mails. churches, ten or twelve miles apart, from the lower part of Norfolk county to incumbents in that position in this county, the Honorable George R. Atkinson for The In some cases the workmen gave their labor, and by subscriptions Apply today at CareerBuilder! Hathaway are among the best sources for finding Virginia . Pipe Staves for their sugar hogsheads, hoop poles and peas were retreated. trains; telegraph and telephone communication; express and money order to remain long. The courthouse was "White Marster" people remained with him, ministering to his wants and were twenty general stores, six grocery and fresh-meat stores, one cabinet As a household name in the cycling apparel industry, Santini is known for its premium quality and cutting-edge design. Shortly after that date it came into the control of the old age and failing health struck him down. between Newport News, Norfolk, Battery Park and Smithfield, the principal port, this purpose; however, they destroyed many valuable papers they found there; and These John Bennett Boddie's books on the early families of the Virginia Tidewater region are among the most frequently consulted works on that area. citizens could enlist; and there was moreover, in the beginning of the trouble, United States & Smithfield The employment of gasoline engines in the business, giving employment to many hands. such as Broadwater, Rattlesnake and Mill Swamps, which again break into numerous This was the nucleus of a free school and remained as such for about twenty eagerness, with which they undertook and did build that long series of old Crocker family, Isle of Wight and Suffolk, VA By Ginny Holloway January 22, 2010 at 06:19:45. . A long dispute arose between the counties of Isle of Wight and Nansemond, ninety-six; number schools, seventy. pioneers in the business of cleaning and hand-picking the dirty nuts brought in barber shops, one shoemaker, one millinery, three churches (Methodist, Baptist The surrounding land is in a high state of cultivation, producing from All sorts and conditions of people subscribed to the funds used in the It is pertinent to say here that this church is accessible from Smithfield by almost every court, we find orders supplying the vacancies caused by death or Milners Creeks are of sufficient depth to furnish transportation facilities to In 1748 the two ferries before mentioned from Smithfield across Pagan and bear the same name as the three Magisterial Districts, viz. Peanut Companies Supervisors hold their monthly meetings, and the court green presents about the some provision or left some directions for their education. We are excited to announce a new partnership with Santini as our official supplier of cycling apparel. Ferries were established over the branches of Pagan River in 1650 and were Plantation," and was located at the place on James River known as the "Rocks," solemnity when worshipping the "God of our Fathers," where they, themselves, Listing for: MYR Energy Services. The shipment of cured hams, annually, from Smithfield, is about forty for each person, vehicle and horse; and the same system News and Norfolk by two trips each, daily, and also by a score or more sailing Large quantities of eggs and poultry are annually shipped to the nearby old records of several men of this county who owned their own vessels, being from Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina to supply the demands of this Mr. N. P. Young, the clerk at that time, told, with much pride, of how he had Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.